Club History
 
"Be strong, We are not here to play.
To dream, to drift; We have hard work to do and
loads to lift; Shun not the struggle, face it,
'Tis God's gift." 
 
Our mission is to promote and protect the interests of African American business and professional women; to serve as a bridge for young people seeking to enter business and the professions; to improve the quality of life in the local and global communities; and to foster good fellowship.
The aim of the South Dallas Business and Professional Women’s Club Inc. is to attract women of high caliber to:
  • Implement seminars and workshops on various subjects, which will help other community-based organizations of a not-for-profit nature become aware of open resources.
  • Provide an open resource to the community in general as to those services and skills which will help individuals increase their self image and self awareness
  • Implement and provide such other charitable activities as the program committee shall see as being consistent with the organization’s charitable purpose.
  • Provide an open resource to the community in general as to those services and skills which will help individuals increase their self image and awareness
  • Implement and provide such other charitable activities as the program committee shall see as being consistent with the organization’s charitable purpose.
  • Implement and carry forth a program of scholarships whereby aspiring young students will be encouraged to pursue higher education through grants and donations made as result of this organization’s efforts.
 
 
These challenging words, later adopted as the Club's motto, were spoken to a small group of business and professional women by the late Sarah J. Holbert-Sears  in the early Fall of 1954. Mrs. Holbert-Sears was an elementary school teacher who had high ideals about things in general and many worthy ideas about what the purpose of a business and professional women's club should be. Mrs. Holbert-Sears  felt that a club in the southern section of Dallas would be appropriate because Black people were migrating from the northern section of Dallas to the southern section in large numbers, joining a large concentration of Blacks who already lived in the area. 
 
Mrs. Marie L. Harrison, National President, gave the South Dallas group permission to organize. Charter members of the South Dallas Club included: Mrs. Alberta Blair, Sue W. Boyd, Johnny Buchanan, Gwendolyn Simon, V. Alyce Foster, Sarah J. Holbert, Frankie C. Hurdle, Leola V. White, Mary Faye Jones, Juanita Lay, Gladys Richardson, Christine Simmons, Maxine Shelton, A. Ruth Smith, Claudia Slaughter, and Mabel White. 
 
The first club officers were Sarah J. Holbert-Sears, President; Alberta Blair, 1st Vice president; V. Alyce Foster, 2nd Vice President; A. Ruth Smith, 3rd Vice President; Frankie C. Hurdle, Recording Secretary; Gladys Richardson, Corresponding Secretary; Sue Boyd, Financial Secretary; Claudia Slaughter, Treasurer; and Minnie Metoyer, Parliamentarian. 
 
The South Dallas Business and Professional Women's Club, Inc. was formally introduced to Dallas January 1, 1956 at their first Yuletide Reception, which received 300 guests in the home of Dr. & Mrs. L. L. Smith (club sister). 
 
The Club's first Constitution and Bylaws were written and printed in 1956.