Our History
Founded in 1954 by educator Mrs. Sarah Holbert‑Sears, the South Dallas Business & Professional Women’s Club began as a vision to support the growing Black community in southern Dallas. With authorization from National President Mrs. Marie L. Harrison, the club officially organized and was introduced to the city in 1956 at its first Yuletide Reception.
From its earliest days, the club has focused on expanding opportunities for women and youth through professional development, leadership training, and community service. Over the decades, members have advanced social and civic progress locally and abroad, while building a strong network of business and professional women across diverse fields. The club also proudly sponsors a youth division for students exploring careers and leadership.
Founding Members: Alberta Blair, Sue W. Boyd, Johnny Buchanan, V. Alyce Foster, Sarah J. Holbert, Frankie C. Hurdle, Mary Faye Jones, Juanita Lay, Gladys Richardson, Maxine Shelton, Christine Simmons, Claudia Slaughter, Gwendolyn Simon, Ruth Smith, Leola V. White, Mabel White